Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Art Center ......... And More

I enjoy the two hour "Make and Take It" offered by the Indianapolis Art Center. I have learned printmaking, silk screening and studied famous artists during these programs.

For Christmas last year, I asked to take two classes, one in early March and the other in late April. I attended the March 4, class on silk screening, but the April class was canceled because of the covid virus.

When I arrived in the printmaking studio, I watched women enter in groups of two, find a seat at the table and wait for the teacher. "Everyone is here with a friend except me," I moaned, always sensitive to pairings in social settings.  Finally, the last person enrolled, walked in by herself.

The instructor described the process of silk screening. She suggested we form groups of two and get an apron from the rack hanging along one of the classroom walls.

"You won't have to worry about ink on your clothes with these sturdy aprons," she commented.

The person who came by herself, walked by my stool, and asked, "Would you like an apron?"

Startled, I replied, "Yes, thank you." She walked over and returned with two aprons made of canvas splattered with the paint of many previous projects. I took a picture of my apron and wished I knew the stories of people who wore it and what they made. I realized I was going to add another layer of paint and another story, with the screening I planned to do.

"Would you like to work together?" I asked.

"Sure, my name is Heidi," she replied. "I'm Jacquie" and off we went to get two sack cloth towels and claim a station with a pad and roller.

Heidi was quiet. I was old enough to be her mother, but we easily got into a steady rhythm of applying paint to the pad, then layering the cloth, finally moving the roller to make the imprint.

Heidi and I chose the same color ink, medium green and dark blue and the same sayings for our towels, "Lettuce Give Thanks" underneath a picture of a large head of lettuce, and "Be Grateful" on a picture of a hand-held grater.

We worked together all evening talking, and screening our towels.

We were almost finished, when Heidi said, "I feel calm next to you."

I wasn't expecting such a deep thought and replied, "I am glad you do."

We finished our work and continued talking long after the other participants left. I discovered she was a counselor at the school where my oldest daughter used to teach.  Walking out of the art center to our cars, we said good-bye, with a hope to see each other again in another class.

I admired her honesty and wondered if there was a reason for her comment. I was thankful to provide a calm presence for two hours and pray she carried my energy home.

We never know how our manner will come across to a stranger.

Lord in your mercy, thank you for helping me be a calming presence to Heidi.


1 comment:

  1. "I feel calm next to you." What a wonderful compliment, and not surprising at all. You prayerfully pass along peace everywhere you go, Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete