Sunday, June 18, 2017

"Wherever we are, we're together."






This year for Mother's Day, Anna wrote a loving note and sent a bag of my favorite granola from a place we like to get coffee and eat breakfast when we visit her in Portland. I try to ration the granola over a few days, but usually it's gone within 24 hours.

Sarah made me a card containing thoughtful and loving sentiments. She enclosed in her package a colorful fabric banner she found in a coffee shop in Denver. Seven small flags hang from the banner with encouraging statements.

I draped the banner over the bulletin board in my office where I can read the words whenever I walk in. Each phrase has a matching picture.

Here are the seven thoughts I see throughout my day:

         -  Be truthful.
         -  Be empowered.
         -  Be brave.
         -  Be determined.
         -  Be active.
         -  Be kind.

These colorful pieces of cloth:

         -   Offer advice for daily living
         -   Guide me in ways to treat and respond to people
         -    Create an attitude that is positive and energizing
         -    Illustrate how to organize my day with meaningful intentions
         -    Add color and image to a listing of life's truths.

The small card that came with the banner said, "Handmade flags to honor and celebrate." Now I have a visual reminder to honor and celebrate each day in specific ways.

Anna's handwritten note and granola and Sarah's handmade card and banner keep me connected  to my sweet daughters who live across the country, reflecting the words on the front of Anna's card, "Wherever we are, we're together."

Reflection Questions

1. How do you keep in touch with those you love who live far away?
2. What words of advice guide your day? Could you make a banner for each?

Prayer: God, thank you so much for my daughters who fill my heart with joy even though we don't see each other often. There are many ways to stay in touch, and you have blessed us with quick and easy means of communication that give great depth of love and meaning to our time. Thank you for thoughtfulness that brings comfort and greeting to my mother-heart. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, golly, I have so much to learn from you about staying in touch long-distance. Several loved ones live miles/hours away and I don't do a good job, even with social media, nurturing a close and connected relationship.

    ReplyDelete