Sunday, May 26, 2019

A God Thing - A Shift in Perspective

One day not too long ago, when I had several places to go, I started my day swimming at the YMCA. I went early hoping to get in and out quickly, but every time I tried to slip out the door, I kept seeing people I knew, wanting to greet each one.

Finally, reaching the exit, I pushed open the heavy door, and crossed the parking lot. As I neared my car and reached for the keys, I heard someone call  my name.

Noticing a person from a distance, but unable to recognize, I walked closer to the sound of the voice and saw Elizabeth, a former employee of the grocery store down the street from where I live. Elizabeth worked in the floral department. When I made a purchase, she always took time to wrap the flowers carefully, adding a ribbon to bind the bouquet.

Elizabeth liked to talk, often complaining about working conditions at the store. I listened to her often, but sometimes when I went to shop I was in a hurry, and didn't want to see her. Since the flower department was at the store entrance, I couldn't avoid contact. In honesty, I was never late to anywhere I was going just delayed.

So here she was at the Y, calling my name. We talked a few minutes. She asked about the Y and I suggested she take a tour and look at the water aerobic classes.

Meanwhile, I was getting restless, working about being late for my 9:30 art class.

Finally, she said, "I think it was a God thing I saw you today."

Oh my! I did not think seeing her was a God thing for me because I wanted to make sure I was prompt for my class. Her perspective was different than mine.

Continuing My Day

I made it to my art class and to other commitments, but I kept thinking of my conversation with Elizabeth. I was disturbed because she thought seeing me was of God and I thought seeing her was a delay.

I asked God to forgive my impatience and help me manage my time more wisely when I had a full agenda.

I was thankful Elizabeth regarded seeing me as part of God's design for her day. She didn't explain why, but I noticed a few weeks later, she had joined the Y and was participating in one of the popular water aerobics classes.

Perhaps she was hesitant to enter an unfamiliar building or self-conscious because exercise was something new for her. Seeing a familiar face and receiving the encouragement I offered, must have been exactly what she needed to enroll.

We never know when we leave the house who we will encounter or how we will be perceived by those we meet. Seeing Elizabeth, is a reminder we can't see the whole picture and every once in a while God gives us a glimpse behind-the-scenes of how a few pieces fit together. Interruptions can be seen as gifts and opportunities.

Prayer: God, help us receive all we meet in your name and may our words and actions reflect your love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment