Sunday, February 17, 2019

Praying Through the Colors


I  am always looking for new ways to connect with God. As an artist, I am drawn to color. I noted one day, even pastors have trouble praying.

Writer and pastor, Elizabeth Myer Bolton says, "Sometimes I find it hard to pray. I know that may sound odd coming from a pastor, but it's true. If Jesus were standing here beside me, one of the first questions I would ask is that same soft and vulnerable question the disciples asked so long ago, "Lord, teach us to pray." (Luke 11:1-4.)

As she presented this request to God, she began to think of color as an avenue to prayer. In the  days to follow, she would choose a new color each morning or each week and then turn her attention to God as that color came into sight.

One day she took note of the blessings of yellow around her. "Such a perfect color against the doldrums of winter. A bowl full of lemons, and found egg yolks from one of our neighbor's chickens, the color of black-eyed Susan's waiting for spring, the sweet, powdery lemon drops my great-grandmother loved to eat. I will give thanks to God for the bright yellow rays of the sun that rise every morning to greet us, and warm us. I will say a special prayer for the Haitian man driving the yellow taxi cab going down the street. I will pray for the woman in the subway station who is wearing a yellow hat."

New Ways to Pray

One day, I decided to choose a color, as Elizabeth suggested and pray through the color. Starting with blue, I kept alert wherever I went looking for something blue. I saw a child wearing a blue coat, a blue box in the grocery store, blue fabric when I went to the quilt store, blue shoes on a woman standing in line at Target, and many more. Focusing on blue, helped me stay present to my environment and present to God.

Over the next few weeks, I prayed through yellow, purple, green, brown and red. Finally, running out of colors, I chose orange.

Other than the fruit or the changing leaves in the fall, orange is not a common color in the world around me. However, my experience with orange came to represent a moment of deep connection to God.

Praying with Orange

On one of those orange days, when I hadn't seen a single orange item, I drove a friend in the late summer to see my work on display in an art exhibit downtown. On a busy four-lane highway, I heard a siren. The ambulance approached from a side street. I slowed down and let it pass by.

Unfortunately, a truck behind me, did not notice my car and slammed into the rear end. My car jolted and shook. I felt a crunch from the rear of the car and heard glass shattering. I was afraid my car was going to blow-up because the impact was near the gas tank. Fortunately, the across-the-shoulder seat belt restrained us from being thrust forward.

After the ambulance sped by, I pulled my car over to the narrow berm. My friend, who was uninjured, calmly called 911. Soon a policeman arrived to gather details and get insurance information from the truck driver and myself.

Forty-five minutes later, the policeman sent us on our way. We were so thankful that we weren't hurt and I could still drive the car. My friend and I decided to forego the art show and return home.

Finally Orange

Easing back into the line of traffic, I had to make a left turn and go down another street until I could make a right turn and start back to where we lived.

The stoplight I approached turned yellow, then red. In that moment, I had a flashback to what just happened. I felt anxiety, wondering how I could drive my car home. I gripped the steering wheel tightly offering grounding for the present. I finally let out a deep breath realizing how fortunate my friend and I were not to receive any injury.

Before the light changed, I looked up at the vehicle in front of me, and saw orange! A bright orange sign was propped on the back of a semi-truck. I don't remember what the sign said, all I know the sign was orange, and orange was my color that day. Oh my! Despite my weakness and distress from the collision, when I saw orange, I felt God's presence and offered silent prayers for God's protection an hour ago.

Praying with Color

Following the accident, I continued the practice of praying through colors. I found flowers, clothes, boxes in stores, cars, highway signs drawing me to God. But out of all the colors I saw, bright orange was not just a sign on a truck, but a sign of God's loving attention toward me in my moment of need.

Reflection Question

Choose a color at the beginning of a day. Look for the color wherever you go. When you find the color, pause for a moment and remember you are in God's love and presence. Maybe you will say a short prayer or ask God to open your heart to hear what God might say to you. Offer to God what is in your heart.

Prayer: Thank you, God, for teaching us a fresh way to pray through the array of colors around us. Seeking you through color increases our awareness that you are everywhere. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I am always looking for new ways to connect with God. As an artist, I am drawn to color. I noted one day, even pastors have trouble praying.
    3 piece lawn suit wholesale
    pakistani lawn dresses wholesale

    ReplyDelete