Sunday, January 20, 2019

Reaching Out to Touch Cloth: An Act of Faith Filled with Power

Over twenty years ago, I read through the story of the woman who reached out to touch the hem of Jesus' cloak (Matthew 9:18-22). I identified with her need for healing, her longing, her hope.

She pressed through a crowd with faith if she could reach the hem of Jesus' garment, she could be healed of twelve years of hemorrhaging. She got close, leaned in, and I can almost feel her fingertips against that material - the instant she made contact, the bleeding stopped. She would have realized it immediately.

At her touch, Jesus turned around feeling power leave his body.

I knew that woman's longing. I, too, wanted that power.

In my desire to feel the power of Jesus, I began making a series of small quilts that reflected my bleeding, hopeless soul - it was my way of reaching out with my own fingertips to touch cloth, to feel power, to receive healing. Was it possible? Would I experience Jesus? Or would it just be a series of stitches pulling together a creative venture?

One after another, in the creation and quilting of these projects, moving the needle and joining three layers - fabric, batting and fabric -  I may not have felt Jesus' healing power, but I did feel God's presence.

My fingertips touched the colorful cloth and I thought of the woman touching the cloth of Jesus' cloak. Sensing that thread pulling snug the layers and running my finger along the edge, I felt close to Jesus,  just like the woman.

Fabric in Jesus' Life

Fabric was part of Jesus' life in several key moments.

 --- At Jesus' birth he was wrapped in swaddling cloth. (Luke 2:7)

 --- When Jesus washed the disciple's feet he used a towel. (John 13:1-17)

 --- The cloak Jesus wore was central to the story of the woman with a hemorrhage. (Luke 8:43)

 --- The clothes Jesus wore before being crucified were divided among the soldiers. (Matthew 27:35)

 --- Linens Joseph of Arimathea wrapped around Jesus' broken body remained in the tomb following the resurrection. (John 19:40)

Each of these occasions revealed a word important to those who follow Christ: birth (swaddling cloth); servanthood (towel); healing (cloak); suffering (clothes before crucifixion); resurrection (linen).

Reflection Questions For Each Stage of Jesus' Life

   1. Birth - What new thoughts or ideas are energizing your time with God? God works in and through us to birth a deeper faith and stronger trust.

   2. Servanthood - How are you showing the love of God through helping others?

   3. Healing - What in your life needs to be touched for healing; resentment, envy, grief, physical illness, thoughts, sins?

   4. Suffering - Everyone deals with suffering at some time in life; illness, disappointment, loss, impaired relationships. How can you welcome God's companionship to help you through those times that bring difficult and challenging circumstances?

   5. Resurrection - Celebration or resurrection joy comes every day when we offer thanks for God's goodness. Even when we suffer, we can find small things that give us hope for the day.

Over the years, quilting kept me anchored in God's presence and eventually helped me grow in faith. It tied me to the story of the woman touching Jesus' cloak and her heart encounter with God's son.

I still quilt and remember with gratitude the many ways cloth appeared in Jesus' life offering milestones to guide my path of faith and devotion to God. Those projects I made symbolize for me the intimacy and power that flows from God to an individual.

Prayer: Cloth connects us to people in the Old and New Testaments. Jesus' life was marked by the appearance of cloth at significant moments. Thank you, God, for the mystery of life in you that brings us closer to your son as we touch cloth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment