Sunday, June 25, 2017

Anonymous Notes to People i Encounter








For a week last summer, I decided to write a note to a person who caught my attention as I went through my day. I did this at the end of the day to reflect on each person's impact and to increase my awareness of those I encounter. I had no way of giving the letter to them.

The next couple of weeks I will share these notes Maybe you would like to complete a similar exercise.

Note 1 - June 2, 2016

Dear Young Woman,

  You walked into the library with your drink held high in your right hand and a dark, thick book tucked under your left arm. You walked straight and tall, a posture of confidence going through the front door and down the hall.

I wonder what book you had and what you were doing at the library at 9:00 am on a Thursday morning? What excused you from school?

Your step conveyed focus and determination - so my prayer for you today is that you will achieve the goals you are seeking, now and in the future.


Note 2 - June 2, 2016 (taking two girls, 8 and 10 to the fabric store)

Dear Lady in the Parking Lot at the Fabric Store,

We'd just finished a successful, fairly quick trip to get fabric to make skirts. We exited the building and went to the car.

Eight-year-old Elizabeth, got in on a side close to another car where you were waiting to park. When you rolled down your car window, I apologized for delaying your entrance. In a cheerful voice, you said, "This is summer! No need to hurry!"

I thanked you for understanding. The smile on your face and pleasant voice helped me feel the sincerity of your words.

Bless you for the patience you showed two little girls taking their time getting into the car.


Note 3 - No date given

Dear Lady in the Locker Room at the YMCA (She was explaining what she was doing with her eight-year-old granddaughter who is living with her during the summer because of parental turmoil.)

You are doing a wonderful job of nurturing the importance of education in your granddaughter. You are giving her solid grounding in a life that must be confusing at times. Challenging her in English, math and spelling to work ahead almost two years above grade level is inspiring. The love and care you are offering her will stay with her always. I offer prayers for strength and energy to care for an eight-year-old.

Prayer: Everyday, God, we see your creation in other human beings - all shapes and sizes, all made by you and containing your image. Even though we may not interact with many in person, we can learn from each one when we share a common space temporarily or observe from a distance. Thank you for providing glimpses of you through others as we go through our days. Amen.

More letters to follow next week.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish it were possible to get these to the people whose life brushed against yours, so they could know they were noticed, they were seen. It reminds me a little of those websites and newspaper sections called Missed Connections (they might go by other names, as well). It's more about trying to find romance, like when a guy sort of flirts with a girl on a commuter train and she smiles back but gets off before he can introduce himself...they try to reconnect. It would be sweet to have something like that but simply to provide encouragement, like your notes. "Hey, I saw you struggling with your kids and I wanted you to know I prayed for you." Maybe we could start a new app? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. redirected here replica ysl official site 7a replica bags wholesale visit this web-site Dolabuy Hermes

    ReplyDelete
  4. replica bags south africa that site g4o50i5x34 replica nappy bags that site v4w81p3n09 louis vuitton replica replica bags gucci replica bags vuitton replica gucci bag a7o26f5v71 replica bags from korea

    ReplyDelete