Friday, September 5, 2014

Using Scripture for Intercessory Prayer

Last week I received a phone call from a friend who was in one of Mike's previous churches. We worked together and developed a friendship that included studying God's word and praying for each other.

When Mike was appointed to another church, we corresponded frequently and continued to pray for each other and our families. Over the years, the letters dwindled as our lives changed. We kept in touch on birthdays and at Christmas.

Her call came unexpectedly, but with joy. We talked and caught up on our families and places in life. Her main purpose for contacting me was to ask for prayer when she had surgery the following week. She chose two scriptures to guide her through the challenges of hospitalization and recovery.

"I'll pray for you using the scripture. We will be united before God." I said.

She liked my idea and gave me these two passages:
    
     Psalm 34:4 - I prayed to the Lord and he answered me; he freed me from all my fears.

     Nahum 1:7 - The Lord is good; he protects his people in times of trouble..

When I brought her name (Susan) to God each day, I prayed the scripture inserting her name:

     Psalm 34:4 - Susan prayed to the Lord and he answered her; he freed her from all her fears.

     Nahum 1:7 - The Lord is good; he protects Susan, his child in times of trouble.

Praying for my friend using scripture helped me connect with her and with God. I was honored to pray using words God gave her.

Next time a friend asks me to pray for him or her, I plan to ask if there is scripture to which he/she feels close, and use those words in prayer.

Even though Susan lives seven hours away, I felt close to her heart and united in prayer as she underwent the surgery and recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment